Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Day 10 - Orphanage, Juvenile Detention Centre and a BBQ

Merry Christmas everyone!

Today started with video chatting with you boys at midnight while you opened your gifts. That was a good idea Kaleb as I still felt part of your Christmas morning and got to see your reactions when you opened gifts. I love my new nursing watch! Steve, you chose very well.

At 8am our Secret Santa gifts were handed out. I received a scarf similar to the one I got for Daphne as well as a note book and pen. My Secret Santa person was Tash and I got her an ampuole opener. I watched her open her gift and at first she did not know what it was but once someone told her she was excited and really liked it. The funny thing was that only a couple of days ago she was saying how hard the ampuoles are to open at her hospital placement so hopefully it will come in handy for her already.

After breakfast we headed to the Upendo Orphanage where we met with the children and handed out Christmas gifts. The orphanage is run by Catholic nuns and the facilities were in good condition. The children were obviously well cared for and had decent clothing and disposable nappies. Disposable nappies are unusual here - most babies just have a rag tied around their bottoms but some do have flat cloth nappies like Zane's blankies. Disposables are very rare! The children loved the attention and the gifts. We quickly learned not to let go of our cameras or phones as the kids will take anything they can get their hands on. One even unzipped my bag as it was on my back while I was sitting down!

After we left the orphanage we went to the Juvenile Detention Centre. Some of our group had already delivered the goat and other donations in the morning. When we arrived we were welcomed in by the boys and shown to a dining room. Some of the boys introduced themselves and all were extremely polite. In the end we were unable to stay for lunch, much to the relief of some of the girls who weren't keen on eating an animal they had seen alive, as the meal was going to take at least another four hours to cook. It was decided that we would go to Union Cafe for lunch instead.

After lunch we headed home. I was feeling exhausted by this stage and fell asleep for two hours. By the time I woke up it was almost time to get dinner started. We cooked out own dinner tonight so the Dadas could have the day off to be with their families.

We had a BBQ for Christmas dinner. Louis cooked chicken, sausages and pork on the BBQ and some of the girls had made potato bake, pasta salad and a garden salad to go with it. Leonie made trifle for dessert and Hanna made coffee cheesecake. Dinner was good and we had a great time together. After dinner Louis got out his fire twirling equipment and we all had a go. That was fun!

It is late now and I am about to go to sleep. I am going to sleep in tomorrow so I will give you guys a call later in the day. We get Boxing Day off so we do not have to go to placement tomorrow.

Love you and Merry Christmas <3

No comments:

Post a Comment